Out of all rooms in your home, you likely spend a significant amount of time in your kitchen. Whether you cook large family meals or bake on a regular basis, it’s important to maintain a clean kitchen environment. Needless to say, a pest infestation in your cupboards or along your appliances can be a nightmare to deal with. And the bad news is that pests in your kitchen are more common than you want to believe.
Thankfully, preventing pests in your kitchen requires just a few simple steps to prevent them. Read on to learn the top tips to prevent kitchen pest problems in your Lubbock TX home!
Common Pests in the Kitchen
With the endless food and resources available in the kitchen, there’s no wondering why pest problems run rampant in this part of your home. The five most common pest problems in either residential or commercial kitchens are:
- Ants. A small ant problem can quickly turn into a large one if ants have found a source of food or water in your kitchen
- Cockroaches. Roaches love filth and feed on sewer and drain sludge. Many species love to hide behind appliances and are especially troublesome in the food service industry.
- Pantry pests. True to name, these moths, beetles, and bugs infest dried goods and foods in your pantry, which can be any baker’s worst nightmare.
- Flies. From drain flies to fungus gnats, flies can be a true nuisance in the kitchen and can affect your business’ reputation.
- Rodents. Attracted to warmth and food, small house mice can take shelter behind your appliances and are attracted to food crumbs and garbage.
5 Tips to Prevent Kitchen Pest Infestations
Pests can contaminate food, leave droppings, and just cause a real mess in your kitchen. To keep pests away from your sink, oven, and pantry, there are a few easy things you can do to prevent them:
- Keep it tidy. Always clean up after meals and avoid crumbs and spills. Clean your floors regularly and avoid clutter.
- Seal cracks and fix leaks. Inspect your kitchen for leaky pipes or crevices around your windows. Seal off or repair issues as necessary.
- Organize. It’s important to seal all dried goods and foods in airtight containers. Regularly go through your pantry and keep things organized.
- Check your groceries. When buying certain goods at the store, inspect food items for tears or signs of damage to avoid pantry pests.
- Store your pet’s food. All types of pests love pet food! Store in airtight containers and never leave food bowls out overnight.
Kitchen Pest Control Services
Pests in your kitchen can be extremely frustrating and cause emotional distress, especially when you plan to cook or bake! If you’ve done all you can to prevent pests in your business or home’s kitchen and have no luck keeping them away, the experts at D’s Pest Control can help. Contact us today to get started!