Whether you’re enjoying a bath after a long day at work or brushing your teeth first thing in the morning, the last thing you want to disrupt your daily routine is the sighting of a bug in your bathroom. Unfortunately, bathrooms are somewhat of a paradise for insects. This is because this room is typically humid, dark, and damp—three things that quickly draw pests in. In order to save yourself from the distressing discovery of pests in your bathroom, it’s crucial to learn not only what pests are the common culprits but also how to keep them out. The experts at D’s Pest Control are here to help. Read on to learn everything you need to know about common bathroom bugs in Lubbock TX homes!
6 Common Bathroom Bugs
Like it or not, bathrooms are a haven for all types of pests and insects. Here are the 6 most common bugs you may encounter:
- Silverfish. These nocturnal insects are typically found around sewers or drains, and prefer to feed on mildew and mold.
- Ants. A small ant problem can quickly turn into a large one if ants have found a source of food or water in your bathroom.
- Cockroaches. Roaches love filth and feed on sewer and drain sludge. They easily can get into your bathroom through plumbing fixtures.
- Centipedes. These long, spindly insects feed on other small insects that are common in bathrooms, and love a humid environment.
- Drain Flies. True to name, drain flies are found around drains. They often appear when there is a plumbing problem in the main sewer line.
- Spiders. As predators, spiders like to prey on the smaller insects often found in your bathroom areas.
Why Is My Bathroom Attractive to Pests?
Your bathroom isn’t just your own personal sanctuary—pests love to dwell in your tubs, too! Leaky pipes, showers, and sinks provide precisely the environment many pests require to survive and reproduce. Your bathroom can also provide insects with plenty of food options. Humid, even moldy areas provide sustenance for some pests. Lastly, a dark bathroom can provide ample shelter for many insects and pests. Whether there are roaches in your cupboards or ants beneath your sink, there could be more bugs hiding in your bathroom than you’d think.
Getting Rid of Bathroom Bugs
No one wants to share their space with pests. The key to getting rid of bathroom bugs is making sure the room is less hospitable to them in the first place. Quickly address any leaky pipes or plumbing issues that are contributing to the humid, moist environment. Consider using a dehumidifier from time to time to aid in this process. Also clean your bathroom on a regular basis! Reduce the clutter in your drawers and cupboards, and make sure to prevent any mold or mildew.
If you’re still experiencing pest problems after trying to make your bathroom less attractive to the pests, you may have a serious infestation on your hands. The pest control experts at D’s Pest Control are here to help.