As the weather cools and we head into winter, there’s nothing better than cozying up in a nice warm home. Unfortunately, the rodents in Texas feel the exact same way, and they use the cold season as motivation to get out of the frost and into your house. Rats and mice are incredibly adept at sneaking in through the tiniest spaces – sometimes as small as 5mm – and because of that almost every home or business can be vulnerable.
If you have an active rodent infestation, you need the treatment of a professional exterminator. But can you prevent the damage and disease of rats and mice through natural rodent prevention? What DIY rodent cures will work to keep you pest-free this winter? Let’s talk about it!
Popular Methods to Get Rid of Rats Naturally
if you’re looking to prevent potential mice infestations during the winter, you may be able to do so with things you already have lying around the house. Here are four of of the most popular materials used to deter rats and mice.
- Peppermint oil, which could be applied to cotton balls and placed around entryways, kitchen cabinets, and any other potential entry points. You can even plant mint along the exterior of the home!
- Apple cider vinegar and water, mixed and sprayed around the perimeter of the home. It should be reapplied once a month to maintain the smell.
- Fabric softener sheets will not only keep your home smelling fresh and clean but will also keep mice away.
- Steel wool, a material that rodents can’t chew through, can be stuck in any crevices or holes in your home and kept in place with putty or silicone.
How Else Can I Keep Away Rodents?
There’s more you can do to prevent rats and mice from taking up residence on your property. These easy habits are things you can do all year long! To make your home less appealing to rodents, you can:
- Regularly inspect for signs of rodents
- Find and seal any potential entry points
- Keep food sealed and securely stored
- Prevent clutter inside and outside the home
If you do all this and still find your home a victim to rodent infestations, don’t worry. As we said before, rats and mice seek warmth and shelter. If they have a way to get in, they’re going to use it. At D’s Pest Control we’re familiar with treating rodent infestations in Lubbock TX quickly and comprehensively. Our team can handle any problem and make sure you’re pest-free for the holidays. To get started, contact us today!